1 can (16-17 oz.) | peas
1 cup | evaporated milk
¼ cup | butter
2 tablespoons | chopped onion
¼ cup | flour
1/2 teaspoon | paprika
1 teaspoon | prepared mustard (we prefer Jack Daniel’s mustard)
3 hamburger buns | split and toasted (we prefer seeded buns)
1 jar (2-1/2 oz.) | shredded dried beef
1 cup | grated American cheese
ii. what to do
Preheat oven to 375°F.
1. Drain pea juice into a 2-cup measuring cup then add enough water to make 1 cup of liquid.
2. Stir-in evaporated milk; set aside (reserve).
3. Melt the butter, add onion and cook together until tender, but not brown.
4. Blend-in flour, paprika and mustard.
5. Add the pea reserve and cook, stirring constantly until mixture comes to a boil and thickens.
6. To half of sauce add peas; spoon into a 10 x 6 inch baking dish.
7. Arrange the buns (two sets of three each tall) on top of the pea mixture.
8. Add beef to remaining sauce and spoon on top of buns.
9. Sprinkle with cheese. If your local store doesn’t offer American cheese, you can substitute a mild cheese, like Colby.
10. Bake at 375°F for 15-20 minutes.
Recipe Courtesy of https://bettyscooknook.wordpress.com/2011/06/25/creamed-peas-and-dried-beef/